Sunday, July 29, 2012

*Sigh* of the Tiger. (Christmas Post from last year)

(Extreme dramatization intended for comedic purposes ahead...and I love and adore my Mother dearly <3>

With Christmas steadily approaching, it's hard not to think of Christmas childhood memories...I'd like to share a particular memory, which I'm sure some of you share...

Anyways, once upon a time, there was a little nerdlette who did not have her eye on some Barbie doll or any doll in particular...instead, she desired a particular Disney-related NES game, and asked her mother for it relentlessly, wrote several hastily scribbled letters to Santa, and even asked the big man himself in person...he gently tried to coax me into wishing for something else, but that wasn't happening...'something else'?  Perish the thought.  I wanted that frickin' game.

So...after waiting and waiting through those agonizingly tedious weeks, the big day finally arrives.  I know that I have been a good kid, and I'd been eyeing the small, cartridge-shaped item underneath the Christmas tree like a vulture waiting for it's prey to finally succumb to death (so festive!)...the parents give the okay, and beaming with pride, watched me tear into the gift as if I'd contracted some deadly illness, and within the Ninja Turtle-themed wrapping paper lies the cure...
This is it!  I'm about to play the game I've been wanting to play fo-
And I see one of these in my hands...




Mother looks towards me, her eyes sparkling with anticipation for my reaction..."That's the game you wanted, right?" she asks.  I'm sure those who have shared this experience pretty much had the same reaction....
......inside your head, your entire world has just come crashing down, and you barely remember how to even speak......

Now, if you have never seen one of these little bastards, let me tell you, it IS technically a video game....only it's had a lobotomy with a screwdriver.
You of COURSE meant the actual cartridge game, and your well-meaning parents found one of these Tiger Electronic devices, thinking it was the correct game...But...you don't want to upset your mother by telling her she inadvertently got you the extremely watered-down version of your heart's desire...

So...looking up at my mother, I finally remembered how to speak again, and I said,
"Yes...yes it is...thank you...very much."

This only happened to me one year, but I'm sure that it has happened to at least one of you readers out there.  And hey, who knows?  Perhaps it's probably going to happen again with the next big trend of video games when the time comes for having my own little nerdlings...

Merry Christmas, all. <3 br="br">

No comments:

Post a Comment